TOPIC: LT1 doesn't pick up well

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1211

• Pink_panther_01
These radars are arty trackers. If it flies, and meets ballistic tragectory, it notifies the operator, else, it maps it in the clutter map and keeps tabs on it to see if it changes.

I want Mythbusters to try to do a radar show to see if you can really kill a bird with a radar....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1212

• Capture_you
It took us less than a minute before a seagull went all spastic and dropped. The illumination portion of the beam put out 5KW CW in a .9deg. beam. We could light up fluorscent lights in houses from miles away. On one occasion we fired all the photographic flash bulbs at once in the Base Exchange.

There were thousands of bird carcasses picked up around the BMEWS screens at Clear AF Base, Alaska. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...ion_Alaska.jpg

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1213

• Pink_panther_01
ROTFLMA! The AN/TPS 58 team I worked with (I was the DS/GS radar support) kept a couple fluorescent tubes in the shelter to do night sighting in, they could illum at 100M, but I don't know if they ever tried more.

Most of the time if we ever radiated there weren't houses for miles and miles around.

But there was the time the FF guys were running the radars pointed at the antennas up at NORAD. About 2 weeks after they started they got a high res satellite phote with the radar circled and a polite \"please stop\".... They got the idea....

Then the base commanders wife and one of the brigade commanders wives saw the radars pointing over the housing area and had a conniption so they ended up moving the whole radar unit to another motor pool so they couldn't even bring the antenna up close the housing area anymore...

I have heard the radar guys tossing a bag of microwave popcorn over the antenna with a fishing line and popping. This radar is a scanning beam and is hard to narrow down to focus enough to hit something that small at that range. You really needed to be out farther.

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1214

• shimmering_sea
Hey N0DIH...not 100% related to this thread, but I just emailed you about some tuning and wanted to post here too in case you didn't check it for a while.

Otherwise, seems like some more interesting developments here, whatever they might be regarding axles and such.

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1215

• Pink_panther_01
Sorry, I was looking at it thinking I really highjacked this thread! Sorry guys!!!

I'll check my email and get back to you

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1216

• Crackpot
Hi, yes I was thinking that some while ago! No matter I think we completed the discussion on why the traction control cuts in so agressively on these LT1s.
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds