TOPIC: LT1 doesn't pick up well

LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1193

• Crackpot
Hi!

I have an LT1 in my 94 FWB [as we all do!] and the pick up from standstill isn't all it should be. Basically if you are too heavy with the gas it seems the traction control cuts in and custs the motor, holding it back for about 5 to 10 seconds or so.
Very dull
Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this or is it normal?

Thansk
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1194

• Capture_you
Learn how to feather the throttle on the launch. TC cuts in when the wheels spin. The best traction comes just before it breaks loose. It takes lots of practice to be a good drag racer. That's why John Force and the guys make the big bucks.

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1195

• shimmering_sea
There's really no way around the traction control, at least permanently, aside from just flicking the switch in the glove box to turn it off when you get in.

People have been trying, tuning wise, to figure out how to change the operation of the TC, but to no avail yet.

It is an annoying thing, I know, especially when you just try to get going and all of a sudden the gas pedal is pushing back at you, and the light's on because it sensed slip, but in iffy weather, that's also turned out to be a good thing.

So for now, just turn it off whenever you get in the car (resets everytime the car is turned off/on), and be on your way.

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1196

• Crackpot
Oh well thanks a lot. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it! een if it is a bit dull!
My old Corvette didn't have the problem. You could literally stamp on the pedal and it was off! I guess it had a locking rear axle and 285 wide tyres though which helped considerably.

Did they make the 93-6 FWB's with a LSD axle?

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1197

• Pink_panther_01
Nope, If TC was part of the car, G80 Posi is not allowed. Stupid in my book....

Wish it was. But I just installed a posi in my mine, but it is an older axle and and has now wheelspeed sensors so I lost my TC and ABS, but the added traction with the posi is FANTASTIC, FAR better than the TC system. Even in the rain I can still get a bit agressive on launch and no have any issues, with the TC and open, it sucked all the time no matter what.

So my factory axle is going to be rebuilt with a tighter posi and the factory 3.42s (the axle in now is a 1980 with 3.08's and posi). So I will get ABS/TC AND Posi.... Can't get better than that. And if my gears are wiped, I might go with 3.73's or 3.90's..... WWWWWWWWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

With the TC active, you can do fairly well, just need to find that threshold of traction to keep the TC system from kicking in.... I think the car is still slightly faster if the TC is off and you push it just a touch, as the small block likes to be revved.....

Re:LT1 doesn't pick up well 16 years 9 months ago #1198

• Crackpot
Yes I know bad news this TC. Does it work on the front wheels as well with the ABS - sort of a stability control - or just the rears. If it's just the rears then not so great!

I guess a posi in the rear is the way to go. What size axle do they have and can you get a posi carrier only for the gears? It's a lot easier than changing axles!
I got one for my '65 Skylark project car [I'm stuffing a 425 dual quad Nailhead into it!]

Did yo get your posi done? If so how did it go?
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds