TOPIC: 6.0 368 pros and cons

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1900

• Friendssss
A 1976 Coupe deVille that runs a 16.4 is mindblowingly awesome! It could almost keep up with a 4.9 powered car despite the additional 1600 lbs of weight.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1901

• Hmax
Greetings,
It might be a little late, but I wanted to comment on the Cadillac 368 engine. I had a 1980 Seville with this engine. It was the smoothest, quietest engine I have ever experienced. I have a 95 LT-1 Fleetwood and I have had a 1971 472 sedan deville. Both of those are much more powerful, the LT-1 giving me the best performance and mileage, but you could have balanced champagne glasses on the Seville hood with that 368. At full throttle, it was a whisper. The power was good enough to move the Seville pretty fast around town, with more flooring necessary to maintain highway speeds (no overdrive in 80). It is much faster than the 4100 and faster than the Fullsize 77 Grand Prix that I had with a 301. The only con is the fact that electronics, like the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is unique to 1980 and is not produced anymore. A NOS one is $250 and very rare. On another note, 1980 is a horrible paint year. GM used dispersion lacquer and it gets massive alligator cracks if you attempt to paint over it. The whole car has to be stripped to respray any part of it.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1902

• Style_tumz
Hmax I bought a 1980 cdv last fall,24000 miles on it,368,this motor suits me fine,everything is comparable, I've never driven any other big blocks, I was interested in your seville having no over drive,I havent checked everything out yet on my car,do you know if cdv had o/d?. the paint on my car is in great shape,most people think it's had a new paint job,wonder if seville's were painted in a dfferent factory?.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1903

• Friendssss
Cadillacs did not get overdrive until the 4.1L V8 was introduced in '82.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1904

• Style_tumz
Kinda ironic,with an advancement like overdrive coupled with the 4.1.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1905

• Charismatics
Quote:

Kinda ironic,with an advancement like overdrive coupled with the 4.1.
Not really.... The HT4100 in itself was a very advanced engine for the time, digital fuel injection and on board diagnostics among others. HT stands for High Technology. It was underpowered in the full size cars, and later in life proved to not be very reliable.... but at the time, with the gas crisis on hand and everything going on, it was what they needed. An HT4100 w/ OD will get about 24mpg on the highway....in the early 80's, that was amazing... compare to just a few years before, you had my '79 DeVille w/ 425 and no OD getting 17mpg tops.
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds