TOPIC: What are the specs on the 425?

Re:What are the specs on the 425? 16 years 8 months ago #2017

• crackpot12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadEyes
No good.

BB Cads like to tug, then sit at a low RPM....

different mindset then building a Chevy... Chevys lack the low end torque of the Cad, they need low gears to get them off the line, and then overdrive to keep the RPM down on the highway so it wont burn itself up.
I guess the 300 ft. lbs. I have at 2000 RPM in my '90 is lacking then.......
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What are the specs on the 425? 16 years 8 months ago #2018

• purely_artificial
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentimental
Chadillac,

You're talking about my poor old '81 Coupe that you drove last fall when it was sick. FYI, just got the V8-6-4 running properly, somehow, and the performance is greatly improved. Comparing the '81 with 368 FI to the '79 with 425 carb, I have to say I really like the fuel injection for the velvet smoothness but I love the brute feel of the 425. I wish my 425 had FI!

I love reading about Rick's performance testing on the '79 he had (sorry you lost it). I'm pretty much a chicken to pound my cars since they are old and I'm afraid I'll break them. That's probably bad thinking since they are over built Cads from the good old days!

Dave

Oh I didn't mean any offence of any sort Dave. Just coming from a more modern, lighter car with a more powerful engine to your big and awesome '81 is like stepping into a totally different ballpark. But you car has a lot more presence and charisma than mine, and isn't that what a Cadillac is supposed to be? If I was to drive it again, I'm sure the performance would be much improved! I drove a '84 Sedan deVille last month with the HT4100 and I was actually kinda impressed all things considered with the around town power and that car has 5 less hp and 65 less lb/ft of torque!

Re:What are the specs on the 425? 16 years 8 months ago #2019

• purely_artificial
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpot12
I guess the 300 ft. lbs. I have at 2000 RPM in my '90 is lacking then.......

No no, that was plenty of low end power! Almost like driving that LT1 I had! Too bad I couldn't find any new pavement to drive on

Re:What are the specs on the 425? 16 years 8 months ago #2020

• crackpot12
Ha, you wouldn't need it now buddy! I put the initial timing up to 12* now, and it woke her up even more!

Re:What are the specs on the 425? 16 years 8 months ago #2021

• purely_artificial
I know for a fact that a 5.7 Brougham (like yours Brian) will beat a 425 Brougham in the 1/4 mile. It's about a .4 second difference.

Re:What are the specs on the 425? 16 years 8 months ago #2022

• purely_artificial
I know for a fact that a 5.7 Brougham (like yours Brian) will beat a 425 Brougham in the 1/4 mile. It's about a .4 second difference.
Time to create page: 0.697 seconds