TOPIC: 2000 DTS Blown Gasket, only 58k PLEASE HELP!

Re:2000 DTS Blown Gasket, only 58k PLEASE HELP! 16 years 9 months ago #1722

• Low_spirited
Well dont give up on them yet. Theyve pulled some pretty magical bunnies out of their bag of tricks lately. You just never know who is making the decision.

Denying that they are unaware of any issues with the Headgaskets on the NS though is downright ignorant. Im hoping that was just that particular rep's view and not Cadillac as a whole.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:2000 DTS Blown Gasket, only 58k PLEASE HELP! 16 years 9 months ago #1723

• Mr_Jarring
The less time that you have been out of warranty, the better your chances of getting some assistance. They replaced a ring & pinion on my '85 Eldo that was out of warrant time wise, but well under on mileage. The fact that they are even considering it is a good sign. My guess it=s that they will cover the parts and you pay labor (no small bill).

Re:2000 DTS Blown Gasket, only 58k PLEASE HELP! 16 years 9 months ago #1724

• Fragile_2009
So Cadillac does not want anything to do with me. They did offer an Owner's Certificate good for a new one, I asked if was going to be for 12k, they said no; they could give one for 1k.

Spoke with another mechanic today, offered to replace both of the heads for 1600... Should I find this suspect? The dealers are all wanting around 3k.

The dealers are also wanting 9500+ for a rebuild replacement... Or 2200+ for installing an engine.

Re:2000 DTS Blown Gasket, only 58k PLEASE HELP! 16 years 9 months ago #1725

• Low_spirited
That sounds REEEAALLLYY cheap on the labor to fix the heads. At that price he either A. Doesnt know what hes getting into and flub up the job halfway through, or B. Does not plan on timeserting the bolts and doing the work necessary. However, you need all the luck you can get, go talk to this guy and ASK ASK ASK questions. Find out how he plans to do it and ask him straight up if thats for BOTH heads and includes the all important time-sert procedure. If this is his first one, I guarantee you that after yours he will never do another... so grab that chance while you can IF hes going to do it the right way.

2200 to install the motor on the other hand, sounds ridiculously high to me.

Re:2000 DTS Blown Gasket, only 58k PLEASE HELP! 16 years 9 months ago #1726

• Muddle_headed
Isn't the timesert kit alone hundreds of bucks?. This mechanic may be in over his head but maybe not. Once he gets the motor apart (and believe me I've seen this happen), he will tell you that he needs to do other things and inform you that you will have to pay more money, probably a lot more money!. If he just changes the gaskets without timeserting, you will have the head gaskets go again quickly. If the car still runs ok, I would try to trade it in cause you could spend lots of time/money and not have the car fixed right. I just got rid of mine and I am happy with that decision. If you dont do that consider replacing the whole motor: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPER...QQcmdZViewItem

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cadil...QQcmdZViewItem

Re:2000 DTS Blown Gasket, only 58k PLEASE HELP! 16 years 9 months ago #1727

• Mr_Jarring
$9500 for a rebuilt is ridiculous as well. Chazglenn got a Timeserted rebuilt from Custom innovations for $2700 incl 3 yr warranty I believe. I think they are in Madison Wisc. and he found them on Ebay. You'll have to add shipping and installation to that price of coarse.
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds