TOPIC: 6.0 368 pros and cons

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1876

• Kelly_kevins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charismatics
Some areas where the 425 excels over the 472/500.... its lighter... both the block and the crank... if weight is an issue, this is a good thing.
Do you have any data on that? How much lighter than a 472/500? Makes me think again about putting a 425 in my Camaro (didn't want the extra 60# of a 472 in the nose)

BTW: the 500 is only the largest POST-WAR production engine. Before WWII, there were MUCH larger engines than the 500. But, low compression (think 6 or 7:1) and side-valve technology (although some had overhead valves) made for pretty low torque & hp numbers.

I saw someone mentioned that a 500 and a 425 had the same HP. Don't forget that the 500 will make loads more torque. Another 75ci tends to do that.
Factory ratings from this era should also be taken with a grain of salt. Lots of other things going on with the emissions side of things that influenced the ratings. If you have a healthy 8.5:1 500ci motor with a freely flowing exhaust, you should honestly be getting somewhere around 300hp, 490lb-ft at the crank, stock. All at LOW rpm of course, shift before 4000rpm...

The only bad side to the 368 is really that it is overshadowed by the larger versions of the Cad big block. Honestly, 6L is alot of motor, even in a relatively heavy car. It's just that 7L+ is just that much more
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1877

• Charismatics
The weight difference... I don't want to say for sure, but its somewhere around 40lbs between the block and crank.... in the world of things, its not THAT much... but.... if you start with a 425 that weighs less then a 500 and add an Edelbrock intake manifold (22lbs instead of 45lbs) then you are now running a big block Cad for nearly the same weight as an SBC..... if your pockets are bottomless and you get aluninum heads, you have a massive enigne with very little weight.

Which pre-war production engines for cars are bigger then the 500? One of the largest that come to mind is the Cadillac V16 from the 30's.... but even then, that beast was 7.3L.... produced a smooth 165hp @ 3,000RPM and 320ft-lbs torque @ 1,200RPM IIRC.

Also, keep in mind the 425, while choked back with emmissions... isn't AS bad as the 472 and 500.... reason being... no AIR pump at all.... loose the origanal cat tho, thats a must (I drained the beads from mine)..... shes got EGR, but that is actually a good thing (and I ended up dumping EGR with the modified '68 472 intake manifold) and the carb is slightly lean (that was corrected with the performance rebuild) so that left the lack luster 8.2:1 compression as the only thing left, besides the smogger cam.... but because of that, I could run 87 and she'd never blink..... 87 will actually give it a little more power for the fact that it'll burn more easily.

The worst case 500 was making 180hp, the 425 makes 180hp...both these numbers do not reflect real world numbers, in general, the 500 was making more power, especially early versions of the 500 and the hi-po 472. But again, keep in mind, for what the 425 is, its making ecent power, and has some awesome potential too.... the 425 just dosn't get much credit because.... well... why get a 425 when you can have a 500, ya know? but she is a gem of an engine.... 1,400 miles in 36 hours without even flinching..... she would cruise at 75 all day and the only way I knew it was still running was the slight exhaust leak form the left manifold, the indication on the tach... and the fact that the car maintained its speed and the AC did its job.... and in the world of things, the 17mpg wasn't horrible either, cause if I was driving a gasoline pickup, thats what I'd be getting too.

a 500 is making around 300hp and 450ft-lbs torque.... even the smogger ones. I know I haven't updated it in ages, but take a look at the database thread (stickey at the stop) there are 2 articals of a BB Cad build up in there, and in the one, they throw a stock 500 on a dyno and they coudln't believe the numbers.

today, 6.0L is a big engine.... but the 368, wasn't making THAT much power not to say its a bad thing, but honestly, trying to make a 368 into a 1/4 mile beast woudln't be very sensable, it was at a bad era, cause the HT4100 was coming out which had what people wanted at the time..... The thing i like most about the 368, is the fact that the V8-6-4 stuff was slapped onto that thing.... I want a V8-6-4 368, and boost the power slightly... then wire up the solenoids manually (easy to do) to only have V8/V4 mode.... I think low-mid 20's would be possible for fuel mileage, and that'd be pretty sweet. if I had a 368, I would run it as is, if I had plans for hi-po, I'd step up to atleast the 425..... but thats not to say the 368 is left out.... AFAIK, she still has the claim of the smallest big block made .

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1878

• Handsome_Guy
How much will draining the cat do for power? also, how did the modified '68 472 intake manifold help?

sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm just getting into engine modding.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1879

• Prince_2007
So a bigger motor is a direct fit in?

How about the 4100's? Could you drop a differnt motor in one of them witho no problem?

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1880

• Charismatics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome_Guy
How much will draining the cat do for power? also, how did the modified '68 472 intake manifold help?

sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm just getting into engine modding.
Draining the cat did ALOT. My exhuast had a rotten egg smell.... I pryed the plug off and drained all the beads... drove it around for a long time like that (she was loud) finally got a new plug in there... no more smelly exhaust, and you could feel more power.

the modified '68 472 intake manifold REALLY helped too.... it really flowed alot better and the power increase was abundent..... At the time of the accident, my 425 was still mostly stock, and I had alot more plans for it... but, for where it was, the thing hauled.... any speed it would put you in the seat... including 70mph.... downshift to 2nd at 70 and open the secondaires, and you could just feel the car accelerate fastly.... I gotta say she was a quick car for remaining mostly stock despite a few bolt on tricks.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1881

• Charismatics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_2007
So a bigger motor is a direct fit in?

How about the 4100's? Could you drop a differnt motor in one of them witho no problem?
the 368/425/472/500 are all the same family, (mostly) everything bolts right up.... a 500 would have been nearly a direct swap in my '79... swap the 425 pullies, oil pain and oil pump over and we were good to go.

the HT4100.... dosn't share much with any other engine at the time... so there is no direct swap for that.... its one of the more difficult engines to swap with for a few reasons too. But on the whole, it isn't all that bad and a 500, 425 or even a 350 is you wanted a SBC could be swapped in realitively easy.

Realitive is a loose term.... the space is there, and most the parts to get it to fit can be had for cheap.... then its just a matter of making it all work.
Time to create page: 1.356 seconds