TOPIC: 6.0 368 pros and cons

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1870

• Charismatics
I wouldn't say there is no aftermarket for it... its a BB Cad... there are lots of BB Cad parts out.... not all are compatible with the 368, but some are.

The 368.... is a great daily driver, it'll go where you need to go with enough power to not feel like you are driving a sick dog. Its a Big block Cadillac, meaning it is nearly bullet proof and will keep running, for the era, its one of the best engines to have.

If you really want to start talking performance, then I would honestly swap it out, a 472 or 500..... and even a 425 is a direct bolt in, all 3 will net you more power out of the box, but you can easily go up from there.... its all bolt in.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1871

• Handsome_Guy
Thats another thing I love about these cars, you can swap stuff!

can somebody please tell me why I would put a 500 where a 425 was, and not just build up the 425 since its like - the same engine?

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1872

• Donuld_Duck
Because more displacement = more power?

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1873

• Handsome_Guy
stock, the 500 had 180, so did the 425.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1874

• Pariwish
Quote:

can somebody please tell me why I would put a 500 where a 425 was, and not just build up the 425 since its like - the same engine?
Yeah. The car rides better with more weight under the hood.

Re:6.0 368 pros and cons 16 years 9 months ago #1875

• Charismatics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome_guy

Well, you get more power out of the box, it has a slightly stronger crank shaft (honestly unless you are pushing 500+ hp, not a big deal) and you get to say 500CID.... the largest production V8 ever made in a car.

Otherwise, if you have a 425 already, its a solid start, it really is. 7.0L is nothing to laugh at.... more then a Frod 400 or Pontiac 400, slightly less then a Chevy 454 and the Dodge 440, nearly the same as the 426 Hemi and the 427..... There is alot that can be done to the 425 to wake it up, and for cheap, you can really boost the power alot.

Some areas where the 425 excels over the 472/500.... its lighter... both the block and the crank... if weight is an issue, this is a good thing. Also, she'll spin faster and at a higher RPM.... it has a huge bore and stroke, but not as massive as the 500.... shorter stroke = rev faster and higher.... not that either are something you really want in a BB Cad, but still. Plus, most the cars the 425 was in ('77-'79 DeVille) is alot lighter then the cars the 500 was in (~1975 DeVille) lighter car = faster.... so, the same work on the 425 in the organal car will make it faster..... although the 425 was stuck with 2.28 gears while the 472 and 500 got 2.73-3.08.....

Basically, if having a 500, just to have a 500 dosn't mean anything.... then go for the 425, its a great engine and you can really get some killer numbers from it. I wanted a 500 in my '79.....just to have a 500.... just so I woudln't have to ever hear \"well, my Chevy 454 is bigger\" and for my plans, the 425 would be getting a total rebuild anyway, so I may as well spend 300 bucks or so for a 500 core and build that..... but that 425 had some really nice potential.

Oh, keep in mind too... the 425 *IS* better on gas then the 500.... I know, I know... these things are gas guzzlers... but... really, a big block Cad is pretty fuel efficent for what it is.... my 425 was netting me 13mpg town and 17mpg highway.... not THAT bad considering.... if I did the minor performance mods for it, not only would she have more power, but it would most likely help fuel mileage since air flow in general would be better.
Time to create page: 0.944 seconds