TOPIC: radiator

Re:radiator 16 years 9 months ago #1494

• Tamsad
Well if you do plan on that I'd recommend sending the whole car to him so he cant blame your installer if there was a problem- If you notice all his e-bay engine listings - all his good ratings are from people he purchased things from. One guy left feedback saying \"dave's the man for engines\" but I dont know what he purchased- I even e-mailed that person to see but he never responded...So where are the ratings??? why use MY car for his site if he's so great? why take a chance? I'd go with a real engine co with real machining eqipment.....anyone can make a mistake- thats human, but he just takes the cake in dozens of ways. One thing he does repond to is money going in his pocket....once that happens good luck!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:radiator 16 years 9 months ago #1495

• shyguy_me
I used to be an insurance adjuster, where we did difficult cases..... If you have nearly full coverage, inquire if this engine case would be simular to a \"theft\" or \" vandalism\", where you may have your insurance cover a new engine while you wait for reimbursment from the 'fraud' & have the settelment be sent to your insurance company. ( Couldn't hurt to try?)

Re:radiator 16 years 9 months ago #1496

• Tamsad
Thanks for the tip, but this has gone on for 6 months, about 3-4 months into this I dropped my full coverage seeing how I wasnt able to drive it. He's supposed to have shop keepers insurance but I bet he doesnt have that either....Its probably public record- in the slight case I loose in court I'll file a claim.

Re:radiator 16 years 9 months ago #1497

• Committed_guy
The thing about him bragging to be a jet mechanic - I'm a pilot and I have been partners in several airplanes. I deal with many of the mechanics myself.

Let me tell you....jet/turbine mechanics know almost ZIP about piston engines. Jet aircraft and piston aircraft are pretty much two completely different beasts. You cannot work on jet/turbine engines/airplanes, be good at that, then work on piston engines/airplanes and also be good at that. This seems to be pretty universal.

The amount jet mechanics know about piston engine aircraft and of the piston powerplant is DANGEROUS. Almost every time I sent airplanes for repair or maintenance (major or minor) to a jet/turbine A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) mechanic, the work had to be redone by a *real* mechanic. Yup, pretty much every single time.

The kind of crap that happened is stuff like hooking up alternators BACKWARDS, routing simple hoses in the WRONG place. etc etc etc. Then, failing to own up to the mistakes and pay for them. So, we had to pay for repairs and upgrades twice.

Just about the only thing they haven't fouled up is changing the oil.

The exception is one guy that I call on regularly that I trust. He does simple things, like change instruments and tires and bulbs, but for more esoteric things, he tells me to call someone else. He will not attempt to do anything to the engine itself except change the oil. Why? Because he's a jet/turbine mechanic, NOT a piston engine mechanic.

The more honest ones warn me that they're jet mechanics and can do very little for our piston aircraft.

Guess what kind of mechanic I don't send my piston engine airplanes to anymore?

So, the fact that this guy brags about being a jet mechanic should send shivers up and down your spine.

Re:radiator 16 years 9 months ago #1498

• Tamsad
Thats intersting, I can picture that with the jets...Its also the people who brag about anything w/ the Military are usually the one's who never finished and have some sort of nutty military discharge- Its also guys like this who have their wives convinced they are a real \"Tough guy\" They get so use to people buying their BS for so long they are extra angry when someone out and out busts them on anything.... Bow to the master who cant fix a thing- & don't question any bs
Here's one funny story from this Jet Mechanic, Dave (out of at least 15)
After my first engine \"rebuild\" from custom innovation we had been going back and fourth on the phone for days....I then highly suspected he didnt do half of what he claimed. I asked, Dave, you didnt have those cylinder heads milled did you? Oh course he said yes, but as he continued with blaming me and offering sad excuses I said- Listen, I plan of having this engine removed and checking the entire job, including looking for the mill swirl marks on the bottom of the heads. He then said, Ummmm, well, I use a scotch brite ziz wheel and remove those marks. I then said, so let me get this straight- you find it necessary to mess with a true flat surface from a machine shop lathe that probably cost over $50,000? He then changed the conversation...talking about other excuses- I then said, No no- Im not done with the head topic. I then requested the name of the machine shop. He answered saying, I would Never give that information out! Gee, I wonder why?

Re:radiator 16 years 9 months ago #1499

• Low_spirited
Quote:
He then said, Ummmm, well, I use a scotch brite ziz wheel and remove those marks.
This is from our old Guru (GM powertrain engineer)

\"Someone in another thread mentioned using scotchbrite to clean up gasket surfaces during an engine rebuild.....not a good idea....

Scotch brite.......!!!!............?????????

NEVER USE SCOTCHBRITE TO CLEAN UP GASKET SURFACES OF AN ENGINE.

NEVER, EVER, EVER USE SCOTCHBRITE ON AN ENGINE. At least not one you want to run again for a long time.

Scotchbrite seems so benign but it is death to engines. Scotchbrite pads are nylon fibers with 40 micron particles of aluminum oxide in them. Scotchbrite dust leaves behind all those 40 micron particles hidden everywhere. Aluminum oxide is an extremely aggressive abrasive. It imbeds in the bearings and eats the crank....and other things.

Scotchbrite is the bane of the aftermarket re-man engine industry. There are lots of \"new\" re-mans ruined by cleaning up the old parts with scotchbrite pads and then installing them. Eats up the engine immediately. That is why many engines fail the main and rod bearings after a head job or other work...scotchbrite. People think it is because of coolant getting into the oil ruining the bearings or something when it was really the scotchbrite the mechanic used to clean up the parts... especially a Northstar engine where the block deck surface cleaning funnels the scotchbrite dust down the oil drain back passages.

If you cleaned up parts with scotchbrite you now have a HUGE cleanup job ahead of you cleaning up after the scotchbrite. You must make positively sure that none of the dust remains anywhere on any parts or got into the oil cavity. Hopefully the valley of the engine was covered if you used scotchbrite on the deck surface as if it drifted into the valley or into the pan your engine is toast.

I am very very serious about this. Scotchbrite has a very bad reputation in the industry as it seems like such an ideal cleanup method, seems so benign, yet can cause such extreme damage. Most mechanics in the know stay miles away from scotchbrite as it is harder to clean up after it than any labor it saves.

If you doubt this at all call JASPER or any of the main engine re-man companies and ask them if it is OK to use scotchbrite to clean up the manifold you are going to put on your Jasper re-man....\"
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds