TOPIC: Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1648

• 25_jackson
Originally Posted by Qwerd
I agree. You should avoid racing the 4100 from a standstill. These old Caddies need to be pampered to survive. My 78 is completely rebuilt (every nut and bolt literally) and I would never even think of drag racing it. I drive it real f*#king fast( Post 100 at times), but I get there gradually.
I took my '79 to the drag strip... had around 88k miles at the time, mostly all stock... she ran a 17.5 @85mph
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1649

• Mr_Jarring
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePuzzel
Jonas,

For the first 100 yards or so, Rick's greater torque will simply kill your poor 4100. After that, it depends on you two and how you each drive. Converting to a straight pipe exhaust will lessen back pressure and kick up your HP a couple points, but nothing outrageous. So, as long as you're going more than a couple hundred yards, either one of you could win. Race safe, please.

Craig
Thank you for being semi-serious about this. I know racing an HT4100 is laughable. Do you know if it will mess with the censors or computer at all?

And to those showing concern about my poor motor, i appreciate it, but i doubt im going to blow it. I am rough with my car at times. I often get on it HARD,not to the point of \"abuse\", but i dont treat it like an HT4100 should be treated. It has NEVER given me any problems at all,never hinted at overheating,never had any weird noises, has just purred like a kitten for the last 30k miles ive driven it. Oil changed every 3k-4k. One or two drag races isnt going to blow it up. Or maybe it will,just an excuse to get a second car and park the Brougham so i can start to restore it.

In all seriousness though, please refer to the first post in the thread and reply with any helpful info. Thanks again guys.

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1650

• Reseller_f9
Hey Passover, wanna drive down here and drag race me before I get rid of the car?

180 hp 88 brougham vs. 180 hp 89 brougham.

My autumn maple firemist paint will make mine faster though because it is faded and some of it has come off. You still have all that heavy a$$ paint on there.

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1651

• 25_jackson
If the 307 would beat the HT4100 off the line... I honestly don't think the HT4100 has enough HP in the mid-upper rev band to then start pulling on the 307.

If anything, I thought the HT4100 may have the jump due to gearing... but I guess the decent low RPM torque of the Olds engine may get it off the line pretty well.

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1652

• Cats_Dogs
Not at all. Racing 2 well matched slow cars is just as much fun IMO as racing in 2 fast cars. The race element is still there, the desire to achieve your goal is still there and you will still have a good adrenalin rush if its real close. When I had my '99 GMC Conversion van I raced my buddies work van (not sure what year but it had a 5.4 liter Triton motor and was a Ford). I beat him and I had fun doing it.

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1653

• Future_scientist
3.42 x 200 = 684.
2.56 x 255 = 652.8.

Even if the shape of the torque curves of both engines was roughly the same, the Brougham would still win. There just isn't enough from the 4100 throughout the powerband to win. And since the Fleetwood only has 5 less horses but 55 less foot pounds, we know that the 4100 hits peak torque at a higher RPM than the 307 does. The 307 has this race.
Time to create page: 0.615 seconds