TOPIC: Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1666

• Love_puzzle
I don't think removing the cat will cause anything to go boom on the car, although the emissions systems computer may throw a code or two. That shouldn't affect performance of the car, though. Good luck to both you and Rick, may the better driver prevail.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1667

• Night_Mare
Yeah, 22 year old fluid is probably no good, but in terms of having had regular services, most of that should have been swapped out. There's a way to change it completely without a flush, something involving the cooler tubes, but I digress. A flush sounds like it would be good, but I'm no expert, so I say nothing.

I changed the fluid on my car a while back. It smelled like crap. I don't know when or IF the previous owner ever did it.

If your computer starts throwing codes at you because you remove the cat, just cross wire the leads going to the oxygen sensor running to the cat, that should do it.

GO HT4100!!

GO 4100!

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1668

• 25_jackson
lol, man this is getting turned into a really big thing now.

And here I thought it was just going to be a casual at the stop light \"hey wanna go on the green?\" thing.

lol, gonna strip out the car too? spare tire, jack and all?

I'm gonna keep the spare, and the jack. I'll be traveling 400 miles, I may need it (again)

Heck I was even planning on having Aimee in the car too.

I agree, mileage dosn't mean much on the 307, and they age well. That engine dosn't run, or feel like it has anywhere near 200k miles on it.... in fact, for being the 140hp version, it is quite peppy, I actually had to go out and double check the VIN.... since tuning it up a bit, it isn't as slow as I remember... and I still gotta do a tune up on it.

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1669

• Liger
Quote:

If your computer starts throwing codes at you because you remove the cat, just cross wire the leads going to the oxygen sensor running to the cat, that should do it.
Ummm, no. Don't do that. The O2 has nothing to do with the cat. It measures the contents of the exhaust gas before the cat, and tells the computer how rich/lean the mixture is.

Quote:
I agree, mileage dosn't mean much on the 307, and they age well. That engine dosn't run, or feel like it has anywhere near 200k miles on it....
I'll disagree, from personal experience (and from many reports from other 307 owners). As the 307 ages, bearing clearances open more than other comparable V8s (305/350). This causes lower oil pressure. A bad thing in cars that don't have gauges showing pressure, only a trouble light. I would be willing to bet that your 307 with that mileage has very low pressure at idle in gear. If you can't get a gauge on it, I would recommend and immediate switch to 15W40. This will go a long way to keeping that engine protected.<br><br>Post edited by: Liger, at: 2007/07/27 14:24

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1670

• 25_jackson
I personally have never heard about that with the 307.

I know from the factory, Oldsmobile ran much tighter tolerances then Chevy, which was one of the reasons Olds engines were usually more powerful then Chevy engines of similar displacement.

My parents ran 10W-40 in it IIRC, the cheap stuff from Advance Auto usually, which is actually Havoline. I have since switched it over to Mobil Delvac 15W-40 because I am very fond in that oil.

I don't have an oil pressure gauge, but I would be willing to bet that with my high mileage 307, there is nothing wrong with the oil pressure, even in ran on 10W-30. The oil pressure light has never come on once (in the last 10 years) other then when starting the car and a second after a fresh filter is put on. This car has had over heating issues in the past, and has probably been overheated half a dozen times... I'm pretty sure thats all solved now though as it hasn't happened in a few years.... but never any oil pressure issues.

Rich, with his '87 Brougham put a really expensive (all electrical) triple gauge cluster in his car because he would often tow a utility trailer loaded with stuff (monitor engine temp) Even with the origanal engine in that car, which died at 195k (we think it was the distrubutor gear) the oil pressure wasn't abnormally low or anything. That car then had a reman engine put in and now is retired with 230k miles, and oil pressure is very good, though it is a new engine.

Re:Some performance inquiries about the Sage Sled 16 years 9 months ago #1671

• Liger
Good choices. Both are likely contributing to the longevity of that engine!
Time to create page: 0.882 seconds